In addition to hymns and anthems sung at regular worship services, Music at St. Andrew's strives to continue our rich musical heritage through concert series, special music services, and other concerts.
Join us for six free performances, each approximately 45 minutes long, on select Sundays at 7:15 pm.
The goal of these programs is to draw you into a state of contemplation, and step out of the hurried pace of modern life to be opened to God anew through beauty. We invite you to then stay for our chanted service of Compline that immediately follows each program.
Music for Meditation will return in October!
All Music for Meditation programs are free and open to the public
For nearly two millennia, the Church has been the western world's chief patron of music. From the single line of Gregorian chant, to full scale works for orchestra and chorus, composers and musicians have offered prase to God in ways that words alone cannot express. Special music services give us the opportunity to join in those praises that goes beyond our weekly worship.
St. Andrew's is in the process of raising $1.8 million to support the building and installation of a new 'tracker' organ to replace our aging electro-pneumatic organ. This new instrument will be built by Richards, Fowkes & Co., and is designed to last for generations to come.
The new organ will directly benefit the spiritual life of the St. Andrew's congregation and will also be an additional resource and gift to the cultural life of the Ann Arbor community in which St. Andrew's has long played an active role. ABOUT THE ORGAN PROJECT
Have your concert or recital at St. Andrew's!
Interested in using St. Andrew's as a venue for your upcoming concert? St. Andrew's has one of the loveliest acoustic spaces in Ann Arbor, and is available to rent for concerts for $500, plus a $25/hour building minder fee. Please contact our Parish Administrator, Kathy McPherson, for detailed rental information.
University of Michigan students may request waiving the $500 rental fee for their recitals if the following conditions are met:
- 1: Recital requests must be made at least 6 weeks in advance of performance date.
- 2: No requests will be addressed in December or after mid-March.
- 3: In exchange for waiving the $500 building rental fee, each student will offer ten (10) hours of community music service to be agreed upon with the Director of Music (i.e. sing in one of the choirs and/or provide instrumental offerings).
PROCESS FOR STUDENTS
- 1: Contact our Parish Administrator, Kathy McPherson, to check availability of date. If available, a tentative hold is placed on the date.
- 2: Student then contacts our Director of Music, Dr. Deborah Friauff, to arrange for community music service.
- 3: Dr. Friauff will confirm the recital date with Ms. McPherson after the community service has been agreed upon. Community service must take place prior to recital date.
- 4: Student comes into the St. Andrew's main office to fill out building use forms, in which the details of the community service will be outlined. This must be finished one month in advance of the recital date. At this time the building minder is also hired and pre-paid at $25/hour to open and close the building.
<< Back to MUSIC